For personal assistance, call anytime
and leave a message. 757-468-7557
Interested in learning more about us?
With the Cape Hatteras National Seashore to one side and the historic Cape Hatteras Lighthouse to the other, Cottages at the Cape enjoys one of the Eastern seaboard’s most alluring locales. Originally constructed in 1958 as military housing for Naval Facility Cape Hatteras, the base and housing was transferred to the Coast Guard in March 1984. The Coast Guard completely rebuilt the housing in three phases from 1993-1995. The site was closed after Hurricane Ophelia damaged utilities and underground services making the site uninhabitable.
Cottages at the Cape is now privately owned. The site is operated as year-rounded housing for twelve families, and weekly rental of the additional 33 units. We are open year-round although we limit weekly rental to only ten units during the off-season.
The units have all new furnishings with a seaside decor. These photographs are from Unit 7B ("Flounder Cottage"), and the furniture was made in Sanford, NC by "This End Up".
The eight acre site has three main streets: Cape Hatteras Lane, Little Kinnakeet Circle & Currituck Circle. The historic Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is visible from the porches and windows of each unit. The old Coast Guard base has been completely demolished, and the result is nearly unrestricted views of the ocean from every unit. We are working on repairs to the last boardwalk to give us three beach access point from the cottages. Two are open now and the third will be open soon.
Building #6: "Drum" & "Egret" Cottages are immediately on the left as you enter the property. This is a two-bedroom duplex.
Building #1: This is the only single family unit on the property. We have named it "Angelfish". It is a four-bedroom unit that was originally built as the base commander's residence.